The following key matters must be included in all standard occupation contracts:
- The address of the dwelling
- The occupation date (the date from which the contract-holder is able to occupy the property)
- The amount of rent or other consideration
- The rental period (eg. weekly or monthly)
- Whether the contract is periodic or a fixed term
- If a fixed term, how long does the contract run for (start and end date).
- Any periods during which the contract-holder is not entitled to occupy the property as a home (for example, to allow university landlords to use their student accommodation for other purposes during non-term time).