Renting A Home In England

What you need to know about renting a home with Homelink Lettings in England:

What does it cost?

All of our properties in England & Wales will have a ‘price per month’ cost of rent and that does not include any utility bills or Council Tax (unless specified on the property details), so it is important that you factor those additional costs into your budget.  Your rent will be paid in advance, so prior to moving into your new home you will need to settle the first months’ rent (or more if you are paying for a longer period in advance as negotiated with your landlord).

A holding deposit equal to one week’s rent must be paid in order to reserve a property. Should your application and following references be acceptable, this amount will be put towards the balance of your first month’s rent.

Security Deposit

We will need a bond or deposit equal to 5 weeks’ rent or 6 weeks’ rent (where annual rent is more than £50,000).

For the period of your tenancy, this will be protected by the DPS (Deposit Protection Custodial Scheme).

Most of the time, bonds and deposits are quickly refunded after the tenancy is over and no claims are made. However, if a disagreement cannot be resolved, the subject might be forwarded to the selected deposit scheme for an independent resolution.

Deposit Protection Service Custodial Scheme Homelink Lettings Newport

At Homelink Lettings we cover a wide area from Newport to Chepstow and can help you to find a rental property in any of these locations: Chepstow, Newport, Cardiff, Bulwark, Langstone, Mathern, Penhow, Caerwent, Caerleon, Portskewett, Malpas, Sudbrook, Rogerstone, Caldicot, Bassaleg, Rogiet, Duffryn, Magor, Risca, Usk, St Julian’s, Llanvair-Discoed, Gaer, Shirenewton, Beechwood, Crick, Christchurch, Sedbury, Brynglas, Tutshill, Pwllmeyric

Tenancy Agreement

Our default tenancy agreement is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy covered by the regulations in England including the Housing Act 1988 (as amended 1996, 2004).  However, if your situation falls within one of the following criteria then you will be unable to have an AST and instead will have a contractual tenancy:  You are a company (not an individual), this is not your main residence, the rent is over £100,000 pa, or the landlord also resides in the property.  Please ensure that you fully understand your obligations to the tenancy before you sign and commit yourself.


A thorough inventory and schedule of condition report will be provided to you at the start of your contract if Homelink Lettings is managing your rental property. Please keep in mind that this document is for both your protection and the protection of your landlord. If it is not returned with any required amendments within 5 working days, the accepted condition will be determined based on the inventory that was issued.  Meter readings: It is always advisable to take your own meter readings as you enter the property and pass these to your utility providers as soon as possible.


The government’s guidance on the Tenant Fees Act 2019 contains information about the fees that letting agents and landlords are prohibited to charge tenants, as well as the fees that are permitted.  You can read this by clicking HERE.

Permitted fees are as follows:

  • The Rent
  • A refundable holding deposit (to reserve a property) capped at no more than 1 week’s rent
  • A refundable tenancy deposit capped at no more than 5 weeks’ rent where the total annual rent is less than £50,000, or 6 weeks’ rent where the total annual rent is £50,000 or above
  • Payments associated with early termination of the tenancy, when requested by the tenant
  • Payments capped at £50 inclusive of VAT (or reasonably incurred costs, if higher) for the variation, assignment, or novation of a tenancy
  • Payments in respect of utilities, communication services, TV licence, and Council Tax
  • A default fee for late payment of rent and replacement of a lost key/security device giving access to the housing, where required under a tenancy agreement

Banned fees:

  • Viewing fees or any charge for viewing a property
  • Tenancy set-up fees
  • Any charge for setting up the tenancy or contract
  • Check-out fees
  • Any charge for leaving the property
  • Third-party fees
  • Any charge for anything that is done by someone other than the landlord or tenant but that the landlord must pay for

Periodic Property Visits

Every 3-6 months, Homelink Lettings landlord will conduct routine inspections of the property. During this visit, the property’s structure will be examined, and any maintenance issues will be checked for.

While it is ideal to visit while you are at home, that may not always be possible, and we are willing to come using management keys if that is acceptable to you.  If possible, please leave a list of anything that you would like us to check during the inspection.

Appointments will be scheduled in advance at a mutually acceptable date and time.



Once you have selected a suitable property and your offer has been accepted by the landlord you will be requested to pay a holding deposit to reserve the property while we gather references.

PLEASE NOTE: We can only hold a property for up to 15 days after receiving a holding deposit (unless an extension is agreed upon in writing by both parties).

Referencing usually takes between 3 to 5 working days (or 5 to 10 working days if references are required from a large organisation) and once references are accepted by the landlord, a moving-in date can be agreed upon.

We work with a reputable referencing agency in order to evaluate your credit-worthiness, employment status and salary, and rental history from your previous landlord.


Please get in touch with us to set up an appointment once you’ve decided upon the property or properties you want to see.  You can use the online enquiry form found beneath each property listing.  Every viewing will be accompanied by a member of our staff who can answer any questions you might have. By prior arrangement, we can help with transportation to and from the property.

Download this guide

Documents you will receive

When you move into your new rental home you will receive the following documents, which are a legal responsibility and should be kept safe:

  • A copy of the Government’s guide ‘How to rent: the checklist for renting in England’ as a printed copy or, if you agree, via email as a PDF attachment.
  • Gas safety record. The landlord must provide you with a copy of this certificate before you enter into occupation of the property and must give you a copy of the new certificate after each annual gas safety check, if there is a gas installation or appliance.
  • Deposit paperwork. If you have provided a deposit, the landlord must protect it in a government-approved scheme within 30 days and provide you with prescribed information about it. Make sure you get the official information from your landlord, and that you understand how to get your money back at the end of the tenancy.
  • Energy Performance Certificate. This contains the energy performance rating of the property you are renting, free of charge at the onset of your tenancy. All privately rented properties must have an energy performance rating of EPC Band E or above (unless a valid exemption applies) prior to being let out. You can also search online for the EPC and check its rating.
  • Electrical Installation Condition Report. Under the Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020, landlords have to get their property electrics checked at least every five years by a properly qualified person. The electrics must be safe and your landlord must give you proof of this.
  • Evidence that smoke alarms and any carbon monoxide alarms are in working order at the start of the tenancy. Tenants should then regularly check they are working.

How to rent guide

It is a legal requirement for Homelink Lettings or your landlord to provide you with a copy of the most up-to-date guide ‘How to rent: the checklist for renting in England’ as a printed copy or, if you agree, via email as a PDF attachment. If you wish to view a copy of this document now you can click here.

Tenant's Obligations

What you must do in your rental home:

  • Pay the rent on time.  The full amount of rent should be in the landlord’s bank account or our bank account (if we collect the rent) by the date stated in your occupation contract. Please, if you have any financial issues, get in touch with us as soon as possible or contact Citizen’s Advice Cumru or Shelter Cymru.
  • Look after the property.  Take care of all the small things around the home such as cleaning windows, maintaining the garden, removing leaves from the gutters, de-fluffing the tumble dryer, bleeding the radiators.  Always get your landlord’s permission before attempting any major jobs or redecorating.  Ensure that you advise us (if we manage the property) or your landlord of any repairs required as quickly as possible.
  • Be considerate to your neighbours.  This applies to you and any guests or visitors to your home.  Act in a responsible manner and do not cause a nuisance.
  • Do not take in a lodger or sub-let without checking whether you need permission from your landlord.

You should also:

  • Understand how to operate the boiler and other appliances
  • Know where the stopcock, fuse box and any meters are located
  • Regularly test your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors – at least once a month.
  • Report any repairs to your landlord. Failure to report the need for repairs could be a breach of your tenancy agreement. There may be a risk to your deposit if a minor repair turns into a major problem because you did not report it.
  • Consider obtaining insurance for your contents and belongings – the landlord will usually have insurance for the property but it will not cover anything that belongs to you.
  • Consider accidental damage insurance incase you damage anything belonging to the landlord (carpets, tiled floors, worktops etc) as this can protect your deposit.
  • Consider if having a smart meter installed would save you money if you are responsible for paying the energy bills. Tell your landlord before you get one.
    Register to vote on the electoral register.

Your Landlord's Obligations

Your landlord must:

  • Maintain the structure and exterior of the property.
  • Ensure the property is free from serious hazards from the start of and throughout your tenancy.
  • Fit smoke alarms on every floor and carbon monoxide alarms in rooms with appliances using solid fuels – such as coal and wood – and make sure they are working at the start of your tenancy. If they are not there, ask your landlord to install them.
  • Deal with any problems with the water, electricity, and gas supply.
  • Maintain any appliances and furniture they have supplied.
  • Carry out most repairs. If something is not working, report it to your landlord or agent as soon as you can.
  • Arrange an annual gas safety record to be carried out by a Gas Safe engineer (where there are any gas appliances).
  • Arrange a 5-yearly electrical safety check (Electrical Installation Condition Report – EICR) by a qualified and competent person (this applies to new tenancies from 1 July 2020 and existing tenancies from 1 April 2021).
  • Seek your permission to access your home and give at least 24 hours’ notice of proposed visits for things like repairs and those visits should take place at reasonable times – neither the landlord nor the letting agent is entitled to enter your home without your express permission.
  • Get a licence for the property if it is a licensable property.
  • Ensure the property is at a minimum of EPC energy efficiency band E (unless a valid exemption applies).

You Landlord should also:

  • Insure the building to cover the costs of any damage from flood or fire.
  • Check regularly to ensure all that products, fixtures, and fittings provided are safe and that there haven’t been any product recalls. Help is available at the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA), Trading Standards, and the Child Accident Prevention Trust.
  • Ensure that blind cords are safe by design and they do not have looped cords to prevent accidents. This is especially important in a child’s bedroom. More information can be found here.

Legislation for blind cord safety in rental homes

Contact Us

Contact Us